Smart Pole Industry Overview
The global smart pole market size is expected to reach USD 39.72 billion by 2030, registering a CAGR of 20.6% from 2022 to 2030, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. The major factor contributing to the growth is the increasing demand for upgrading existing lighting infrastructure with energy-efficient lights across cities under smart city projects. Moreover, the rising pollution levels have created a need for smart poles equipped with air quality sensors and cameras to monitor the air quality and traffic. Such factors bode well for the growth of the market.
Smart Pole Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global smart pole market based on component, hardware, installation type, application, and region:
Based on the Component Insights, the market is segmented into Hardware, Software, Service.
- The hardware segment held the leading revenue share of over 57.52% in 2021.
- Numerous smart poles installed worldwide are equipped with cameras and air quality sensors to measure the rising pollution levels. Several mobile technology providers are striking partnerships with alternative energy system providers to design and sell efficient poles that support video analytics, intelligent lighting, and Wi-Fi access points.
- The service segment is anticipated to register the fastest growth over the forecast period. Some companies in the market perform the task of installing smart poles in a facility or city and carry out the integration of different systems.
- Many utility companies are signing contracts with private companies to deliver smart poles featuring streetlights, traffic management systems, and air quality monitoring sensors.
Based on the Hardware Insights, the market is segmented into Lighting Lamp, Pole Bracket Pole Body, Communication Device, Controller, Others.
- The controller segment dominated the market with a revenue share of over 29.32% in 2021. Smart pole technology makes use of control devices to efficiently control light and other features based on parameters such as occupancy, temperature, and amount of natural light.
- The controllers not only provide flexible and economical lighting but also monitor the tasks carried out by users. These factors are expected to drive the growth of the segment.
- The communication device segment is expected to register the fastest growth over the forecast period. The growth of the segment can be attributed to the increasing need for awareness, comfort, and safety on the streets.
- They are designed to host multiple components and devices, such as air quality sensors, cameras, Wi-Fi access points, digital billboards, electronic call boxes, and electric vehicle charging points.
Based on the Installation Type Insights, the market is segmented into New Installation, Retrofit Installation.
- The retrofit installation segment held the largest revenue share of over 59.19% in 2021, attributed to the smart city initiatives pursued by various governments. These initiatives aim to replace existing lights with energy-efficient lights and install digital signages, security cameras, Wi-Fi hotspots, and environmental monitoring systems on existing light poles.
- The new installation segment is expected to register the fastest growth over the forecast period. The growth of this segment can be attributed to the increasing government initiatives toward the installation of smart poles in developed countries such as the U.S., U.K., France, and Germany to provide better web connectivity on the streets.
Based on the Application Insights, the market is segmented into Highways Roadways, Public Places, Railways Harbors.
- The public places segment dominated the market with a revenue share of over 39.92% in 2021. Smart poles offer various features such as security cameras, announcement speakers, internet connectivity, and charging points to help tourists and visitors in public spaces.
- The use of solar-powered smart poles is further expected to encourage the installation of smart poles in public parks, beaches, and tourist sites to prevent overcrowding. For instance, in May 2021, Artificial Intelligence (AI)-powered smart poles were deployed in the Algarve region of Portugal to determine whether or not the beach is fully occupied.
- The highways and roadways segment is anticipated to register the highest growth over the forecast period. The growing number of smart roads being developed across the globe is expected to emerge as one of the major factors driving the growth of the segment.
Smart Pole Regional Outlook
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East Africa (MEA)
Key Companies Profile Market Share Insights
The market is highly fragmented. The key players are adopting various strategies, such as new product development, RD, and strategic partnerships, to strengthen their position in the market. They are also offering software and products for smart poles as part of their efforts to establish a strong foothold in the market.
Some prominent players in the global smart pole market include
- Cree, Inc.
- General Electric
- Signify Holding
- Silver Spring Networks, Inc.
- Wipro Limited
- Zumtobel Group
Order a free sample PDF of the Smart Pole Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519