Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension Industry Overview
The global pulmonary arterial hypertension market size was valued at USD 7.0 billion in 2021 and is estimated to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.2% from 2022 to 2030.
Growing initiatives by key market players, high prevalence of pulmonary arterial hypertension, adoption rate, availability of reimbursement, and entry of generics are some of the key drivers of this market. As per the American Lung Association, about 500 to 1000 new PAH patients are being diagnosed every year in the U.S.
Gather more insights about the market drivers, restrains and growth of the Global Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension Market
Market players reported a significant impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on operational activity, financial performance, and results of operations. These ranged from delay in clinical trials, supply chain challenges, dampened demand, reduced new patient visits, among others. Gilead for instance reported adverse impact on its clinical studies including the company’s ability to initiate and complete trials within the estimated timelines. The imposition of restrictions on patient visits lead to delays with new subject enrollment for most of Gilead’s clinical trials during 2020.
The pandemic also disrupted regulatory reviews and inspections thus impacting the ability of market players to launch new commercial products. The market witnessed low demand due to the limited ability or willingness of patients to initiate new therapies and to access and seek care from healthcare providers. By 2021, the market recovered gradually. The pandemic had minimal to no negative impact on sales of pulmonary arterial hypertension drugs as major companies ensured a continuous supply of stock for existing customers.
Browse through Grand View Research's Healthcare Industry Research Reports.
- Clinical Trials Market - The global clinical trials market size was valued at USD 47.0 billion in 2021 and is expected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.8% from 2022 to 2030. However, the market growth was hindered in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. In 2020, Parexel and Synairgen plc formed a strategic collaboration for conducting a Phase III study of an Interferon-beta (IFN-beta) treatment for COVID-19 patients.
- Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis Treatment Market - The global idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis treatment market size was valued at USD 2.00 billion in 2018 and is estimated to expand at a CAGR of 12.7% over the forecast period. Increasing prevalence of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) and increasing geriatric population are the key drivers of the market. Rising number of cigarette smoking people, leading to a high prevalence of IPF, is also projected to fuel the growth.
Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global pulmonary arterial hypertension market report on the basis of drug class, type, route of administration, and region:
- Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension Drug Class Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 - 2030)
- Endothelin Receptor Antagonists (ERAs)
- PDE-5 Inhibitors
- Prostacyclin and Prostacyclin Analogs
- SGC Stimulators
- Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension Type Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 - 2030)
- Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension Route of Administration Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 - 2030)
- Intravenous/ subcutaneous
- Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension Regional Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2014 - 2026)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East Africa (MEA)
Market Share Insights
- November 2020: Mylan N.V. merged with Pfizer Inc.’s Upjohn Business to form Viatris Inc. Viatris offers a robust portfolio of biosimilars, branded and complex generics, over-the-counter products, including the PAH drug Revatio.
- April 2019: Cipla, headquartered in India, received U.S. FDA clearance for Ambrisentan Tablets (generic version of Gilead Sciences’ Letairis).
Key Companies profiled:
Some of the prominent players in the pulmonary arterial hypertension market include:
- United Therapeutics Corporation
- Gilead Sciences, Inc.
- Johnson Johnson
- Viatris Inc.
- Sandoz Inc. (Novartis)
- Lupin Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Sun Pharmaceutical Industries, Inc.
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
Order a free sample PDF of the Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519